Procedures to Alleviate “Pain and Suffering”
“Pain” has different connotations for the medical provider than for an attorney. The clinical conditions and treatments discussed on this site take into account the need for a trier of fact to understand those medical conditions and experiences. The site, therefore, is written for the attorney reader to better represent his or her client. Insurers and employers may also require an objective evaluation of an injured claimant or employee, in a legal context, and Dr. Singla performs these medicolegal evaluations. In Dr. Singla’s experience Personal Injury cases, for example, focus on an injury allegedly caused by an accident, motor vehicle accident, “slip and fall,” or similar misadventure.
Another consideration for the attorney is retaining an expert witness where there is a claim for “Pain and Suffering.” In the context of this site, we address specific pain treatments, that might lessen the “pain and suffering.” (Reference Ohio Code Section 2315.18)
Expert Witness’ Role
Money damages are determined by the jury. They do so with the benefit of expert witness testimony.
To evaluate damages, the Expert Witness examiner considers whether a spine or joint injury is associated with the tort.
Considerations include, but are not limited to
- Is there a relationship between the injured spine, neck, nerve or joint and the accident?
- Is there a relationship between a new injury after the accident and the pain treated with a procedure like RFA, pain relief injections, or electrical stimulation devices, among other treatments.
- Is there a preexisting degenerative disease, such as osteoarthritis, and is a new injury igniting new pain as a result?
- Did a procedure like radiofrequency ablation help? Did it reveal the nerve causing the pain? What would be next steps in treating the pain?
- What is the long term prognosis?
Plaintiff and defense are faced with the need to determine the cause of an injury or chronic pain, monetary damages (if any) and noneconomic loss (if any.) Dr. Singla objectively evaluates the injuries and conditions contributing to the experience of pain, causation and prognosis. Further, causation and damages are not always due to a single circumstance or condition. Dr. Singla writes thorough reports of her findings to address these questions, and testifies as needed.
Radiofrequency ablation is a pain management technique that uses an electrical current...
Epidural Steroid Injections
Epidural steroid injections are a type of interventional pain management treatment for ongoing neck, back, or leg pain that irritated and inflamed nerves.
Spinal Cord Stimulation
Spinal cord stimulation occurs through the implantation of spinal cord stimulator.
Nerve blocks are injections that temporarily block the nerve signals to the brain to alleviate pain.